The latest results of the PISA survey, due on 3rd December. Since 2000 this has been carried out every three years by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), it assesses the performance of school-children in 70 countries, comprising 90% of the global economy. The OECD processes the results to rank countries’ education systems and the rankings are used to justify major changes in the way many of those children are taught and tested.Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar are not included.
The latest results of the PISA survey are due due on 3rd December. This assesses the performance of school-children in 70 countries, comprising 90% of the global economy.
An Enthusiastic, Qualified Teacher Who Enjoys Working with Young Children is needed for a full-time teaching Position in Sihanoukville
Idea Source School based in Sihanoukville, Cambodia is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced primary school teacher to work full time with us beginning immediately. The initial contract will be for 12 months but can be extended further upon successful completion. We are looking for an individual who has a strong desire to teach, has a deep interest in the problems of teaching international education in a foreign context and who feels satisfaction in helping young students reach their goals.
The Job Description and work environment and expectations:
The hired teacher will work teaching young (Grade 1, 2 or 3; 6 – 9 yrs old ) Cambodian, mixed race and international children. People are now flocking to Sihanoukville from as far flung away as the Canary Islands, Ukraine, Peru and Denmark. Many are coming with their children. They will work a 5 day week for a total of 40 working hours per week. There is a maximum of 29 classroom-teaching hours and the rest of the time is for office work and lesson planning. Class size is a maximum of 15 students, and you will have the support of two assistant teachers. This is so you can focus upon the needs of individual learners. We are first and foremost capability driven or competency-based in our teaching. individual learners rather than treating the class as an amorphous social group to be taught and tested upon the exact same material. Capability based learning exercises are an excellent teaching method as they build on prior experience and provide opportunity for practical application of materials/theories covered.
The teacher hired must also be able to participate in and help plan the various yearly events (such as Christmas presentation, English summer camp, field trips and international parties).
Location: Sihanoukville is Cambodia’s premier island and beach resort. It is surrounded on 3 sides by the Bay of Thailand. From the beaches and surrounding hills, many of the country’s small islands can be seen. Many of the beaches are filled with grass hut restaurants and bars, some of the beaches are rocky, a couple are big resorts, and some are pure sandy beach. Beaches, forest treks, diving, swimming, and chilling are the main activities here. It is more relaxed and quiet compared with Thailand’s developed resorts. It is the seventh largest population centre in Cambodia, after Phnom Pehn and Siem Reap. It is big enough to be convenient but small enough to retain its charm. The salary given to most foreign teachers is well above the national average and teachers can easily afford a comfortable lifestyle on their salary and save as well.
Company Description: Idea Source School was founded with the goal of establishing an elite school to enrich and enlighten local students in all areas of education. A few of our teachers and administrators have their own children at the school making for a personal interest in providing quality education. More details of the founders can be found here and here.
We are small and likely to remain so – the present class has only 9 students. We take a progressive stance in our approach, blending games and play, audio-visual and IT, in a curriculum structure and content that reflects the needs for individual, group, structured and unstructured activity. The style of teaching is more ‘guide by the side’ than ‘sage on stage’. We aim to develop core skills in literacy and numeracy whilst keeping the development of 21st Century skills foremost.
In order to deliver this we would invite creative, imaginative, flexible, qualified and experienced elementary, primary and early years teachers who can expect international rates of pay.
Job description: The teachers’ main role is to plan lessons and develop schemes of work which show sympathy with the learning outcomes – documented in the curriculum – and, moreover, with the learned and natural abilities of individual students. In order to execute this, the teacher’s role will be to:
• Prepare and deliver lessons to a range of classes of different ages and abilities. These should account for both the lack of English and typical exposure that an individual student would have at their developmental and biological age in the international context. Teachers may need to present the same concepts in a variety of ways, so that all students can retain the information (i.e. they may show learning verbally, by writing, or by doing, showing, building etc.)
• Ensuring that assessment and appropriate feedback is given regarding oral and written work. Assessment of learning, as learning, and for learning should be employed while teaching. Maintaining records of pupils’ progress and development in the manner expected by the School; Teachers may need to assess the same concepts in a variety of ways, so that all students are able to express understanding/ability to use the concepts in a variety of contexts/situations.
• Devising, writing and producing new materials, including audio and visual resources – making sure these are documented and archived so as to be accessible by colleagues, management and parents.
• Researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials which enhance or augment the topics and themes; Some of these may relate to the subject such as knowledge of Singapore maths, Saxon maths, and how they may be similar or differ and offer advantages. We also prefer ‘big history‘ over national or Euro-centric histories, and have an interest in ‘area based learning‘. and what may be called ‘systems thinking‘.
• Managing pupil behaviour in the classroom and on school premises, and applying appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehaviour as laid down in the ‘rules booklet’; Above all the discipline we promote is that of the autonomous learner – self-regulation.
• Supervising and supporting the work of teaching assistants with respect to their teaching, classroom management, and assessment checks, making sure they are conversant with topics and themes, equipment, and have adequate assessments prepared for them for their Friday revision sessions. Idea Source is a learning organisation and everybody is expected to be involved in learning.
• Contributing in the development of the curriculum and organisation through being participant in once weekly academic meetings (dealing mainly with individual student learning and approaches) and the once weekly administration meetings (dealing mainly with operational details, resources etc.)
• Represent the school in a positive manner where we have to deal with outside agencies and organisations, including prospective site visits and interactions and deliberations with parents and the general public.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• A native English speaker. English must be your first and primary language.
• Bachelor degree in Education from a reputable college or university, preferably with licence where appropriate.
• Experience teaching and working according to curriculum guidelines.
• Have the desire to live and work in Cambodia for at least a year. • Professional, responsible attitude for work
• A friendly, outgoing attitude for students and colleagues, open to sharing and participating with the object of learning
• Have flexibility to succeed in a fast-paced work environment
• Must enjoy working with small children
• Will need to act, sing, dance, paint and make fun English games and activities
• Priority will be given to applicants with TESOL/CELTA/TEFL or ESL certification and/or experience teaching children • Also we hope for teachers who have some background in performance
Pay and benefits:
– International level salary based on experience and skill.
-2 weeks of paid vacation (14 days plus the connected weekends)
+ all Cambodian public holiday. Cambodia enjoys the most public holidays in the world!
-Visa sponsorship available – Idea Source will help to find an apartment for the hired teachers and will pay part of the key money.
How to Apply: If you are interested in working for Idea Source School please send us:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter outlining your teaching philosophy.
3. Two recent photos of yourself (a shot of your face and a full length shot with you dressed in business attire).
Optionally you may send us any other photos, videos, letter of recommendation or documents that let us know what kind of person/teacher you are.
Please send a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ideasourceschool [please ‘like’ us]